The list of 20 nominees that did not make the first class is as follows:
- Bobby Allison, 1983 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion and winner of 84 races
- Buck Baker, first driver to win consecutive NASCAR Sprint Cup championships
- Red Byron, first NASCAR Sprint Cup champion, in 1949
- Richard Childress, 11-time car owner champion in NASCAR’s three national series
- Richie Evans, nine-time NASCAR Modified champion
- Tim Flock, two-time NASCAR Sprint Cup champion
- Rick Hendrick, 11-time car owner champion in NASCAR’s three national series
- Ned Jarrett, two-time NASCAR Sprint Cup champion
- Bud Moore, 63 wins and two NASCAR Sprint Cup titles as a car owner
- Raymond Parks, NASCAR’s first champion car owner
- Benny Parsons, 1973 NASCAR Sprint Cup champion
- David Pearson, 105 victories and three NASCAR Sprint Cup championships
- Lee Petty, winner of first Daytona 500 and first three-time series champion
- Fireball Roberts, won 33 NASCAR Sprint Cup races, including the 1962 Daytona 500
- Herb Thomas, first two-time NASCAR Sprint Cup champion, 1951 and ‘53
- Curtis Turner, early personality, called the "Babe Ruth of stock car racing"
- Darrell Waltrip, winner of 84 races and three NASCAR Sprint Cup championships
- Joe Weatherly, two-time NASCAR Sprint Cup champion
- Glen Wood, as driver, laid foundation for Wood Brothers’ future team success
- Cale Yarborough, winner of three consecutive NASCAR Sprint Cup titles, 1976-78
Jerry Bonkowski says: To me, there were some real surprises that did make the inaugural class, most notably David Pearson. I thought for sure he'd be a first class shoe-in. But be that as it may, using the above list, my five picks for the second NASCAR Hall of Fame inaugural class are: David Pearson, Rick Hendrick, Cale Yarborough, Bobby Allison and Darrell Waltrip. Feel free to take me to task for my picks -- that's what RacingDebates.com is all about.
So, RacingDebates.com asks: WHO DO YOU FEEL ARE THE FIVE BEST PICKS FOR THE SECOND NASCAR HALL OF FAME INAUGURAL CLASS?
CLICK HERE to join the debate and give YOUR 5 Nominees!